Choose from the topics below, or design your own course!
WordPress Basics – 5 Sessions
This course is for those who already have an existing WordPress website installed and provides a general overview of how to work efficiently with WordPress, including how to:
- create and edit pages
- edit page layouts (incl. sidebars, widgets)
- add/delete navigation menu items (pages)
- create a blog and add posts
- categorize and tag posts
- add still images and video
- know your options for backing up site files and database
- update plugins and WordPress core
- create PDFs and upload them to your site
(Please email for current pricing.)
If you would like to learn your way around a specific theme (including the default WordPress themes) please let us know upon registration.
WordPress Security & Maintenance – 3 Sessions
This course can save you the pain of dealing with a crashed or hacked site and save you money hiring someone else to do the following:
- Web Hosts and Security – not all are created equal
- What does “daily backups” actually mean?
- You could have a hacked copy of your site backed up.
- How long are the backups kept?
- Security at the WordPress Installation phase
- Security Plugins
- Updating Your Site – Plugins and the WordPress Core
- Site Backups & Backup Monitoring
It is possible to explore these topics more deeply depending on your familiarity with blogging, website design and/or photo editing. If we cover all of these topics quickly, we may have time to begin one of the topics below.
Please note: some of these topics have prerequisites.
- Setting up a responsive WordPress website from scratch
- Understanding and Creating a “Child Theme”
- Customizing Your Site’s Appearance
- Plugins (Why, How and When not to use Plugins)
- Creating and managing website email & spam
- Website Security Options
- What does your web host offer?
- Free Options
- Premium Options
- Hired Services
- Backing Up Your Website
- What does your webhost offer?
- Manual Backups
- Automated Backups
- Backup Services
- Backup Storage Options
- Photoshop Basics
- Preparing images for websites
- Preparing images for social media
- Preparing images for slideshows
- Preparing images for photo galleriesPhotoshop Specific Classes:
- Creating a slide show
- Photo Galleries
- Social Media Specific Classes:
- Introduction (choosing and setting up social media accounts)
- Preparing your brand (profiles, images, etc.)
- Social Media Integration with your site (share and follow buttons, etc.)
- Social Media – Getting Started with Facebook
- Social Media – Getting Started with Twitter
- Social Media – Getting Started with Google+
- Social Media – Getting Started with Linkedin
- Social Media – Getting Started with Pinterest
- Lead Generation using “call-to-action” features
- Conversion responses for “call-to-action” features
- SEO Basics (Search Engine Optimization)
- SEO Advanced (Search Engine Optimization)
- Events calendar
- Event registration
- Google Calendar
- Paypal integration
- QR codes
WordPress Training – Design A Course
Pick and choose from all of the topics above according to your priorities. We will consider your level of competence with blogging, website design and/or photo editing and build a curriculum together to fill the number of sessions you require.
Please email for current pricing.
Recommended Social Media Marketing Resources
There are some books that I recommend to those launching their businesses on the web. Usually those learning WordPress find themselves “on overload” at some point or another. It’s a good idea to take a break when that happens and your productivity dives. Try switching gears and looking at some related marketing ideas. You will soon be able to add marketing and social media to your arsenal and apply it to your website. For some, it may be a matter of transferring the fun of Facebook (or Instagram etc.) to business, for others, it may be learning how to post. Whatever your level of social media literacy, experiment and learn!
In the interest of full disclosure the links below to amazon are affiliate links, so I do get compensated. However, the price to you remains the same as if you had gone directly to Amazon. I am frequently asked, “But how do I get on the first page of Google?” Google Search has reinvented itself several times. The “recipe” for being on the first page has become more complicated. There is no getting around hard work to achieve this goal.“But how do I get on the first page of Google?”
David Amerland explains how Google Search works in understandable terms. He uses realistic examples to illustrate how you can leverage the world of social media to build trust and connect with your potential customers and promote your brand in a meaningful way.